Back pain doesn’t have to stop you from working and enjoying the activities you love. With guidance from the team of experts at the Medex Diagnostic and Treatment Center that includes experienced pain management doctors, physical therapists and a host of other specialties, you can live free of back pain. Prevention plays an important role in avoiding more extensive treatment. Call this Queen, NY practice today for an appointment.
Back pain is the most common reason people miss work. With so many different causes and types of back pain, about 10 percent of Americans are afflicted every year. The condition strikes nearly 80 percent of Americans at some point in their lifetimes. So if your back is hurting, you aren’t alone … not that that makes you feel any better.
Moat of the time, you don’t even know what’s causing your back pain. That won’t be your experience at the Medex Diagnostic and Treatment Center in Queens, NY, where a compassionate pain management doctor figures out what’s causing your back pain, how to fix it and how to prevent it from recurring.
Taking Care of Your Back
Most back pain isn’t caused by anything dangerous, but any discomfort is often disabling. Your doctors at Medex focus on prevention of all types of injuries and disease by recommending steps to take to avoid back pain before it starts. For example, follow such tips as:
- Practice good posture when sitting and standing
- Avoid slouching
- Don’t put most of your weight on one leg or the other
- Use your leg muscles when lifting heavy objects
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Get regular exercise, but avoid activities that force you to jerk or move awkwardly
- Find non-straining ways to do regular tasks, such as how to pick things up or perform repetitive motions at work
Mitigating Risk Factors
The primary focus at the Medex Diagnostics and Treatment Center is to prevent pain in the first place. Your pain management specialist sets you up to avoid back injuries in the future. At your very first visit, you’ll learn steps you can take to stay pain-free.
But there may be circumstances beyond your control that cause back pain, such as genetic birth defects and general wear and tear from aging. But the most some common risk factors for back pain involve lifestyle choices. Work with your pain management doctor, physical therapist and other Medex specialists to identify those ways to reduce your risks, such as:
- Engaging in an appropriate exercise program that consists of core strengthening routines
- Quitting smoking
- Adopting a nutritional diet that helps you maintain your ideal weight
- Learning proper posture when sitting, standing and driving
- Changing the way you perform repetitive tasks
- Investing in an ergonomic workstation
- Preparing appropriately for strenuous activities
- Following proper form when playing sports
- Stretching after exercising
- Visiting your physical therapist to learn correct body mechanics
Even psychological factors like stress or depression are risk factors for back pain. When you visit for an initial consultation, your doctor uncovers all the sources of your back pain, both physical and psychological.
What’s Causing My Pain?
Many different factors may be causing your back pain. Your pain management doctor at the Medex Diagnostic and Treatment Center identifies the cause through examination and testing, when necessary. Your spine is made up of many components, including supportive ligaments and cartilage that you can injure. Some major causes of back pain include:
- Skeletal deformities
- Osteoporosis that leads to compression fractures
- Disc and spine degeneration
- Sciatica and other pinched nerves
- Ruptured discs
- Herniated discs
- Spinal stenosis
- Facet joint syndrome
- Lumbar radiculopathy
- Myofascial pain syndrome
- Muscle spasms
- Degenerative disc disease
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
- Back sprain
- Piriformis syndrome
- Post laminectomy syndrome
- Underlying conditions such as kidney stones or fibromyalgia
With such an extensive list of possible cases, it’s no wonder you have trouble diagnosing your own back pain. Let an expert find the source of your pain so that you receive the proper treatment. Answer your doctor’s questions during your examination. You may also need x-rays, an MRI, bone scans or even blood tests. These tests reveal the cause of your pain, helping your doctor create the best treatment plan.
Back Pain Treatment at Medex
In addition to physical therapy programs and lifestyle changes, your pain management doctor may recommend other treatments for your back pain, such as:
Prescribed pain medication may be useful for a short time while you’re recovering. It helps the healing process. Surgery also may be necessary, but it’s reserved as a last resort when all other forms of treatment have yielded no successful results.
If you’ve lost sensation or feel weakness in your legs, visit your doctor as soon as possible. If you have a fever in addition to pain, seek emergency care. Contact the Medex Diagnostic and Treatment Center in Queens to learn more about your specific back pain. Discover your many options for treatment today.